Friday, February 5, 2016

Week 4 Report & Reflection

Hello fellow classmates:



This week, we learnt and explored bookmarking tools and the importance and use of tagging. The two online platforms we learned about are Diigo and Delicious. These two online sites are social bookmarking, research and knowledge sharing tools created to make note taking while providing a network for sharing and discovering information. I personally chose to learn more about Diigo.




Diigo is an online platform which allow you to take personal notes from various web pages. The user has the option to bookmark and save the information the discover for further review while also adding tags to keep everything uniformed. The bookmarking feature allows the user to share information with friends and colleagues through Facebook and Twitter to allow them to access and view your personal notes. This information is saved online in the cloud, therefore; this information can be accessed through any computer, tablet or mobile device with browsing capabilities. As far as educational activities, this tool will be very useful and beneficial for students. This tool will be very helpful for various school assignments, homework, research papers, basically any work school related. This tool essentially act as a database. For example, if I'm at school working on a research paper and there are a few pages I found on the school computer, I can bookmark it and later view the same pages on my personal computer and complete my research paper.

Furthermore this week we were also required study 5 tools. Google Alert, Paper.li, Storify, LiveBinders and Scoop.it. I chose to study Google Alerts a little more in depth. Out of the five curation tools given to explore, I found Google Alerts to be the most beneficial to my needs! Google alert is easy to use once you have explored it; it is a tool that is automatically connected to your Gmail account so you do not need to sign up for it unless you do not have a Gmail account. Google Alert is a tool used to stay up-to-date on your topic of interest(s). This tool monitors the web and updates you instantaneously to your inbox according to the alerts you create. The pros of Google Alerts is that you can use it for your personal life or for academic purposes, it will keep you up-to-date and you will not miss any information on the web about your topic of interest. The disadvantages to this tool is that you will have an abundant amount of emails as the web is always expanding and it might be too much to go through all at once, so I would recommend to keep your list of alerts updated. Aside from the downfall, the pros do outweigh the cons and I would recommend Google Alerts to everyone who loves to stay up-to-date!


I would add both online platforms Diigo and Google Alerts to my PLE forsure. I would personally add Diigo under the sub category Organize because Diigo is a tool mostly intended for keeping all your information organized and uniformed. Google Alerts I would personally put under the sub category Connect as it is a direct connect to my gmail and I would personally use this tool in my day-to-day life as I this would benefit my daily life.





Through the various  tools and all the others I have gained knowledge in the past four weeks, I have gained so much digital literacy tips that will benefit me in many ways from my personal life to my academics. 

As I scrolling through my Feedly reader, I came across this article related to Brock University Goodman School of Business. "Johnathan Holland, a BBA student in the Goodman School of Business, is Brock University's first student to land in Canada's The Next 36 program" This article is basically about a national program and a current Brock grad placed top 36 entrepreneur in Canada. Feedly is a great way to update my knowledge with current events and news occurring around the world!

Thank you,
Suwattzen Nithiananthan


No comments:

Post a Comment